Join PetRescue and a community of pet- lovin’ supporters to create a better future for Australian pets in need.
We invite you, the brightest minds and innovative tech-heads, to come and help save lives through challenging and ultimately disrupting an archaic system. One that’s not currently designed to keep pets safe.
We urgently need to leverage creative thinking and the latest advances in the tech world to solve the big issues and challenges that pets face in Australia.
Introducing... PetHack 2020 🎉
2020 was the year...
The Olympics, (some other events), and PetHack at Google HQ. We were over the moon. Google had invited us to join them to host the most epic event of the year - a hackathon to save lives!
Then... a pandemic crushed our dreams. There was to be no more adventure to host our hackathon at Google HQ.
Same, Tyson. SAME.
Pictured: Tyson from Best Friends Rescue QLD
We’ll just need to imagine that we’ll be here instead!
Photo credit: The Sydney Morning Herald
But pandemic or not, we will not be stopped!
No, not when it comes to the outcomes for pets in need.
Every hurdle we encounter simply becomes a new possibility presented.
The timing makes this a once in a lifetime opportunity for us to redefine the future for the pets of Australia. Now more than ever, we have a chance to make an impact like no other.
The pandemic pivot.
We picked up our puppy pouts and are now going 100% digital for the event!
That means we can now open PetHack up to even more talented minds across the nation - something that we wouldn’t have been able to logistically manage before!
What an incredible opportunity to have access to even more brilliant participants to help us solve some very big and hairy issues in the animal welfare sector.
“We need to band together to protect Australian pets and animals. Let's start with those closest to us, our pets, and revolutionise a system that most people don't even realise is broken.”
- Richard Hocking, Google Australia
Every year, an estimated 100,000* pets are killed in council pounds and shelters, and most are never given the chance to find a new home.
But... how is this possible?
We’re a nation that’s proven there’s a home for every rescue pet - with 95% of pets listed for adoption on PetRescue finding a home, and higher demand to adopt than there are rescue pets listed in most states.
The problem isn’t irresponsible pet owners, overpopulation or abandonment. The issue is flawed legislation and a dysfunctional pound system that fails to meet our communities’ expectations and relentlessly puts rescue groups under immense pressure to save lives.
Volunteer rescue organisations do an incredible job saving at-risk pets from council pounds, often at great cost to their own livelihoods. But they are propping up a broken system and just don’t have the capacity to take in another 100,000 pets.
*Estimated annual figures based off research from sources across Australia. Not all pets are currently accounted for.
Join us in changing the future for pets in need.
PetHack 2020 - not one, but TWO events to save lives!
Expressions of interest (from both individuals and teams) are now closed for both events. There are limited participant spots, but be sure to hop on the waitlist in case a place opens up.
Big idea sessions (7.5 hours over 3 days)
Creative ideas to help tackle the problem space.
- Day 1: Tuesday 8th September (morning)
- Day 2: Wednesday 9th September (morning)
- Day 3: Thursday 10th September (morning)
(8am - 10:30am AWST or 10am - 12:30pm AEST)
Weekend hackathon (over 2 days)
Innovative prototypes using tech to help save lives.
- Day 1: Saturday 12th September
- Day 2: Sunday 13th September
(8am - 4pm AWST or 10am - 6pm AEST)
Hop on the waitlist!
Expressions of interest are now closed.
Note: Spots are limited for this event. Join the waitlist (as a team of 3-4) to be the first to know if a place opens up!
Expressed interest in joining the event? Here’s what you need to know! If you haven’t received an email from us, please make sure you check your junk/spam folder or get in touch to let us know.
- Thursday 23th Expressions of interest open!
- Monday 27th Expressions of interest closed.
- Friday 31st 💌 PetHackers welcome email sent.
- Friday 7th 💌 Participants, check your inbox for an invitation to confirm your spot.
- Tuesday 11th Participant confirmation closing date (midnight AWST).
- By Wed 19th PetHackers who have registered as individuals will be introduced to their teammates 💚
- Tuesday 1st 💌 Participants, check your inbox for prize, tools and judging information
- Monday 7th 💌 Final event reminder and update (Big Ideas Session)
- Tuesday 8th Big Ideas Session Day 1 💚
- Wednesday 9th Big Ideas Session Day 2 💚
- Thursday 10th Big Ideas Session Day 3 💚
- Friday 11th 💌 Final event reminder and update (Weekend Hackathon)
- Friday 11th Submissions due midnight AWST (Big Ideas Session)
- Saturday 12th Weekend Hackathon Day 1 💚
- Saturday 12th Judging commences (Big Ideas Session)
- Sunday 13th Weekend Hackathon Day 2 💚
- Sunday 13th Judging closes (Big Ideas Session)
- Sunday 13th Submissions due midnight AWST (Weekend Hackathon)
- Monday 14th Judging commences (Weekend Hackathon)
- Friday 18th Judging closes (Weekend Hackathon)
- By Fri 25th All winners contacted 🎉
- By Fri 2nd Winning ideas announced 🏆
Meet the judges
We're very fortunate to have some epic judges joining us from Google, Facebook, Up Banking, Guide Dogs, G2Z and Adopt-a-pet (USA) to review submissions and help us determine the winning ideas!
Our incredible pet lovin' partners, Mars Petcare, have generously donated a whopping $10,000 towards funding support for PetRescue’s member rescue groups with their own innovations.
Winning teams from each PetHack event will select the lucky rescue group they wish to donate their prize money to.
Big Ideas Session
💰 First prize - $4,000
💰 Runner up - $1,000
💰 First prize - $4,000
💰 Runner up - $1,000
PLUS, to show our appreciation for participating in PetHack, winning teams will receive some awesome swag from Google and an exclusive PetRescue goodies pack, including a PetRescue custom tee.
What happens next?
We hope to continue to develop the strongest ideas in the mission to help save more pets!
Winning teams will also be invited to be part of the working group(s) with PetRescue and help steer the direction in developing and implementing the concept!
Expressions of interest to join working group(s) will be open to additional participants at a later date.
Send them through via email firstname.lastname@example.org